How to prevent cat litter box problems?
Are you having cat litter box problems? Is your cat not using the litter box?
This situation can be very stressful for you and your cat. But it is a normal problem that does happen and usually it is very easy to solve or fix.
Here are a few suggestions that can solve your cat litter box problems.
- Litter box maintenance is the first cause of cats not using their litter box. Do you change and clean up the litter daily? We don’t like using dirty toilets and it is the same for your cats. Cats don’t like to use litter boxes that are dirty and stinky. They will usually search for another place, whether it is a corner of a floor, bed, carpet, sofa, etc. To top that off, cat’s sense of smell is 14 times stronger than us, so if you think it doesn’t smell that bad to you, for your cat, it may be so horrifying.
- Making sure that your cat has easy access to the litter box. The litter box should be placed in a location that has privacy and is away from noisy appliances, frightening noises, and high traffic area in your home .It should also have a place for your cat to escape in case you have another cat that likes to bully other cats. These are a few things why cats will avoid using the litter box and you have cat litter box problems.
- Getting another new cat or having few other cats in your home can cause your cats not to use their litter box. Consider providing a box for each cat you own plus 1. Some cats just don’t like to share.
- Having your cat’s water and food dishes close to their litter box will also cause your cat not to use their box. Move it away or in another location. Would you eat your food by your toilet?
- Cats don’t like change very much, so if you changed the brand or texture of their cat litter, some won’t use it. Go back to the old litter you were originally using. If you do need to change, cats tend to like sand like texture better or try mixing the old with the new.
- Sometimes a new litter disinfectant or a new scent of cat litter will cause your cat not to use the box. Same thing here, go back to using the old kind of litter.
- If your cat has chosen the same location all the time to eliminate outside the box, move the litter box to that location and gradually move the litter box back to the new location ever day.
- If cat has chosen to eliminate in several locations all the time, try putting their cat food and water dishes in those locations to discourage them.
- If your cat is using the litter box-you see your cat standing in it but then eliminate outside of it. It might be because the litter box is too small, so get a bigger one and sometimes using a covered litter box, should solve the problem.
- Bring your cat to the vet. Usually it might be a medical reason why your cat is not using the litter box.
There is always a reason why your cats wont use their litter box. Cats are very clean animals and it is very hard for them not to use their litter box. This kind of change in your cat’s behavior is usually a sign of emotional origin. If your cat has been under a lot of stress, for example, just having surgery, sickness, moving, renovation in the home, and having new pets, can cause stress. It is always important not to yell at your cat or punish them, if you do, it won’t solve the problem. It will just make your cat more stressed. Just approach the problem in a relaxed and patient manner and try the suggestions above. This should help and hopefully solve the cat litter box problems, to keep your cat and yourself happy.
Return from Cat litter box problems to Tips for Cats